To ensure the smooth processing of your files for print, please follow these simple prepress guidelines:
It is best to provide a file in Portable Document Format (.pdf). We would prefer to receive one .pdf per component of your project (i.e. text file, cover file, spot uv file). We are happy to provide you with instructions for .pdf creation. If you are unable to provide a .pdf, text should be provided as InDesign or Quark Express application files. Covers can also be furnished in one of those programs, Illustrator or Photoshop. When absolutely necessary, we will also attempt to support older native program files, such as PageMaker.
Your files will be preflighted to ensure that they are suitable for printing and match the specifications of your project. A typical preflight checks that the file:
- is the correct size, including required bleed where applicable
- has all fonts embedded in the pdf or supplied to be used with application files
- includes art with the proper resolution
- colors are set to print as expected
The prepress technician will alert your Customer Service Representative if a change needs to be made on your end. You can also opt for our prepress technician to make the necessary changes, if possible. You will be billed AA charges.
Total Printing Systems uses both Macintosh and Windows based operating systems. When using application files, be sure to use the master page for placing folios or running headers and footers. This ensures that they fall in the same place on every page. We do not officially accept Microsoft Word documents for covers or text.
No files? The prepress department is equipped to scan a previously printed book if no files are available and you are the licensed copyright holder. Visit https://www.tps1.com/resources-2/preferred-providers/ for complete file creation and design.
All graphics must be included or embedded with the file. Photographs should be no less than 300 dpi at their placed size, and line art or type should be 600 dpi at their placed size.
If using postscript fonts, you must include both printer and screen fonts. ALL fonts used in your book should be embedded or supplied.
Outputting from Adobe: Start with the Adobe PDF Preset “High Quality Print”.
Under the Output section –
- Color Conversion = No Color Conversion
- Destination = N/A
- Profile Inclusion Policy = Don’t Include Profiles
- Make sure to include Document Bleed settings, minimum of 0.125″, if applicable.
- Do not include printer marks when exporting interior files.
Leading causes of schedule delays or additional charges
- File supplied in non-supported application
- Media not labeled clearly
- Missing fonts
- Missing graphics
- Low resolution of graphics
- No bleeds included (0.125” minimum)
- Incorrect cover spine size
- Inconsistent or inadequate margins
- Blanks not included or placed correctly
- Incorrect or inconsistent trim size
Upload Your Files
Please upload one PDF for each component of your project (i.e. interior, cover, jacket, foil stamp). Click here: Upload link. The upload link takes you to our WeTransfer site which is free; No registration required. Watch for a verification code in your email once you hit send.